Round of the Mamores

On Saturday 8th April it was fantastic summery weather and the hills were all but free of snow following the mild winter.

I've run the Mamores Round twice before, as well as done it several times as part of longer linkups. Previously I'd clocked in at just over 7hrs, so was fairly sure I could get it under that. At least.

Setting off from Achriabhach at noon I decided to run clockwise, therefore getting the long runnable section done on fresh legs - I ran up the road and through to Steall Ruin. Onward to the summit of Binnein Beag I was pleased to get there in around 1hr 12mins.

Knowing the route pretty well made for a fairly stress free journey, keeping eating and drinking and taking in the views. I only touched snow on a handful of times, never more than a few strides to cross small patches.
Looking to Binnein Beag from the slopes below Sgurr Eilde Mor

As I ran I felt pretty strong and started doing some sums from my Tranter splits to see if sub-6hrs was do-able. It seemed like it was so I keep pushing on.

I loved seeing two ravens playing in the updrafts near Binnein Mor. Also bumping into Adrian and Eilidh who I've not seen for ages - just enough time for a quick hug! Coming up from Kinlochleven side was a massive line of people, I'd guess at least 50. Not sure what their story was as I didn't pass them directly.

Not much snow left on the Ben

Binnein Mor

Moving into the final stages of the run I was regretting not taking my sunglasses - it was glorious! Quick descent off Mullach down a short cut that I just about remembered, back to Achriabhach. Great cup of tea and proper catchup with my friends who had by now finished the Ring of Steall and were relaxing at Lower Falls.

I ran 5hrs 18mins 38secs (start and finish at Achriabhach bus stop sign). I wouldn't be surprised if this is a record although I can't see anything recorded elsewhere. Happy for any further information if anyone has any?
Devil's Ridge

Back at Achriabhach

Strava:
https://www.strava.com/activities/935312640


Splits:

Start Achriabhach

Binnein Beag 
1.11.22
Sgurr Eilde Mor
0.32.30
Binnein Mor
0.31.18
Na Gruagaichean 
0.12.40
An Gearanach
0.29.49
Stob Coire a’Chairn
0.14.00
Am Bodach
0.17.32
Sgor a Iubhair
0.12.24
Sgurr a’Mhaim
0.17.03
Stob Ban
0.31.34
Mullach nan Coirean
0.24.45
Finish Achriabhach
0.23.33

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fin, well done! The text from the SHR 'Tour of the Mamores' page was mysteriously lost sometime prior to 31 August 2014 when I discovered it missing. I've been hoping to reinstate it as well as possible ever since, but all I can remember is Colin Donnelly having some very quick time, so your run could be the impetus needed to get something up again. If we can get Colin's time + some route/conditions info and add yours, that would be a good start. I'd put yours straight up, but would prefer to see Colin simultaneously credited for his, which memory tells me *might* have been even quicker depending on where it started and finished. Cheers P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Peter
    Yeah I think Colin did a fast time on it although I don't know the stats!
    Would be cool if his time was faster, gives me something to work at!
    Finlay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colin ran 7:02 in July 1980. We've now 'restored' the SHR page with info on his round and yours:

    http://www.scottishhillrunners.uk/LongDistanceRecords.aspx?LongDistanceRecordID=15

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers peter
      For info I didn't include all Munro tops, just Munros and Sgor a Iubhair

      Delete
    2. OK, thanks for that. I've just amended it slightly further with a note suggesting that both Colin's and your choices are OK so long as we know what's been done, and clarification of which 1981 Wild (your dad!).

      Delete
  5. Hi Finlay, I know you a pretty busy with championship etc, I'm up in the area on the 12/13th of August, visiting my friend Andy Hague, I am doing run up the Ben, really to get a big climb and descent in the legs, if you are about for a more leisurely paced outing than your used too? Andrew Cox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cairngorm 4000ers Record

Welsh 3000ers Record

Tranter's Round Record